If his or her temperature is above 100.4 degrees, it is time to call us. For children ages three months to three years, call us if there is a fever of 102 degrees or higher. For all kids three years and older, a fever of 103 degrees or higher means it is time to call Pediatrics East.
What if my child has a fever of 103?
But if your child has a 103° F fever, is lethargic and isn’t eating or drinking, then he or she probably needs to be seen by the doctor. Also call your child’s doctor if your child has a fever of 104° F or higher or if he or she has had a fever for 4 or more days in a row.
Should I worry about a 103 fever?
Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher. Seek immediate medical attention if any of these signs or symptoms accompanies a fever: Severe headache. Unusual skin rash, especially if the rash rapidly worsens.
How do you break a 103 fever in a child?
How to break a fever
- Take your temperature and assess your symptoms. …
- Stay in bed and rest.
- Keep hydrated. …
- Take over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen to reduce fever. …
- Stay cool. …
- Take tepid baths or using cold compresses to make you more comfortable.
Is 104 a high fever for a 6 year old?
In children ages 5 years and older, a temperature of 104 F is the number where a fever is worrisome. At that point, call your health care provider and set up an appointment or go to an emergency department or urgent care clinic.
What temp should I take child to hospital?
If your child is 3 or older, visit the pediatric ER if the child’s temperature is over 102 degrees for two or more days. You should also seek emergency care if the fever is accompanied by any of these symptoms: Abdominal pain. Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
How do you lower a 104 fever in a child?
Alternating Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen
- Use both if the fever is over 104° F (40° C) and unresponsive to one medicine alone.
- Give a fever medicine every 4 hours (acetaminophen every 8 hours and ibuprofen every 8 hours).
- Only alternate medicines for 24 hours or less, than return to a single product.
How do you bring a child’s fever down?
If your little one is experiencing symptoms, try these home remedies to help reduce your baby’s fever.
- A lukewarm sponge bath (stop if your child starts to shiver).
- Lots of liquids.
- Light clothing and lower room temperatures.
- Rest — in most cases, you shouldn’t wake a sleeping child to give them fever medicine.
What is a dangerously high temperature for a child?
Call your doctor if you have an: infant younger than 3 months old with a rectal temperature of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher. older child with a temperature of higher than 102.2°F (39°C)
When should I worry about my child’s fever?
In babies and children older than 3 months, a fever is a temperature greater than 101.5 degrees F. Call your doctor if your child’s temperature reaches 102.2 degrees F or higher. Most fevers go away in a couple of days. Call your doctor if the fever lasts four days or more.
When should you give a child Tylenol for fever?
Don’t give your child medicine if he or she is between 3 months and 3 years of age and has a temperature of 102°F or lower. If your child is achy and fussy, and his or her temperature is above 102°F (38.8°C), you may want to give him or her acetaminophen.
What are Covid symptoms in kids?
Emergency warning signs include trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion, inability to wake or stay awake, or pale, gray, or blue-colored skin, lips or nail beds — depending on your child’s skin tone.
Do Blankets Increase fever?
Do not put extra blankets or clothes on. This may cause your fever to rise even higher. Dress in light, comfortable clothing. Use a lightweight blanket or sheet when you sleep.
What fever is too high for 7 year old?
Your pediatrician may need to investigate further for underlying causes. Your child’s fever is higher than 104 F (> 40 C). Your child’s fever does not come down with fever reducers. Your child is not acting themselves, is difficult to arouse or is not taking in enough liquids.
How can I lower my 6 year olds fever?
Other ways to reduce a fever:
- Dress your child lightly. Excess clothing will trap body heat and cause the temperature to rise.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids, such as water, juices, or popsicles.
- Give your child a lukewarm bath. Do not allow your child to shiver from cold water. …
- Don’t use alcohol baths.